After 5 days of not running because of the cold snap, I broke. I had been kind of lazy about running the extreme cold (less than 5 degrees). But with some crappy eating habits and general restlessness, I had all that I could take. I packed up my gear and was ready for a lunchtime run. The NOAA (above) told me that though it was cold, the winds were relatively light and it was actually above zero today. I went for it before I could talk myself into a slice of lasagna. I am so glad I did. I feel remarkably better, and it actually wasn’t bad at all. My fingers were a little cold for the first ten minutes, but after I got warmed up, I was zipping down my jacket and lowering my neck gaiter.
In case anyone cares, here’s an example of my running wardrobe for very cold temps:
- Head: Smartwool beanie under a random synthetic winter hat
- Hands: some old, beat up Seirus gloves
- Upper Body: Under Armor base layer (not my favorite), merino wool base layer, light weight merino wool sweater (yay Costco!), Sporthill shell
- Lower Body: some old Sporthill running pants under Sporthill ATV II pants (best cold weather pants ever!)
- Feet: synthetic running socks (thin) under a pair of Merrell Road Gloves